Monday, July 4, 2011

Sweet Smoked Paprika Stroganoff



I have a real penchant for beef casseroles.  Especially when they have been slow cooked and they just literally melt in the mouth.  On a shopping trip yesterday I indulged in some sweet smoked paprika from Spain.  I don't think this is the paprika traditionally used in stroganoff as you're supposed to use Hungarian paprika.  But what the hell, I tried the Spanish stuff, and it tasted pretty good.


Pimenton de la Vera - Sweet smoked Paprika


Ingredients
500g stewing steak
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
400g mushrooms
1 tablespoon paprika
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons flour
500ml beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup wine
1/2 cup light sour cream

Method
First things first, brown the diced onions and garlic in a little oil until soft and place in slow cooker.  Then brown the sliced mushrooms and add to the slow cooker.  Finally the meat.  First of all season the meat with salt and pepper.  Then sprinkle over the paprika and massage into the meat.  Finally dust the beef with flour before browning in a frying pan.  Add the meat to the slow cooker placing on top of all the vegetables.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook until tender (6 hours on high worked well for me)

Serve with rice and green beans.

The green beans I trimmed and blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes.  I then drained the beans and added a knob of butter, a squirt of fresh lemon before finally seasoning the greens with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment