This is my journey from fat to thin. Not hugely fat but could lose about 10kgs. The problem is I love to cook... and eat. Today I decided to take action and get serious about getting healthy by following different eating regimes to suit my mood. This is a photo blog of food I am eating to get to where I want to be. Goal: lose 10kg. Total lost: 4.7kg
Friday, July 1, 2011
Slow cooker winner... a seriously good Dahl
On Sunday I spent the afternoon parked around a wood fire pizza oven eating pizza and discussing food with friends. As I have recently purchased a slow cooker I am on the hunt for good recipes. This recipe came highly recommended by the hostess. I tried it for dinner last night and it was very good. Quite spicy so I'd recommend halving the chilli if you can't handle your spice, or eliminating it altogether if children will be eating too. I ended up cooling down my bowl with some greek yoghurt.
Tomato and Coconut Dahl
Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 diced carrot
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli for a medium curry (or 1/2 teaspoon for a mild curry or no chilli for children)
1 teaspoon garam masala
250g split red lentils
400ml stock
400ml light coconut milk
1 can chopped tomatoes
For serving
fresh limes for squeezing
chopped coriander
chopped toasted almonds
greek yoghurt
salt and pepper
Method
Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the garlic, carrot, cumin, mustard seeds and ginger. Fry for a few minutes. Add the rest of the spices and fry for a further few minutes. Transfer into the slow cooker. Add the lentils, tomatoes, stock and coconut milk to the slow cooker. Slow cook until the lentils are soft.
Serve in bowls topped with a squeeze of lime, toasted almonds, coriander and yoghurt
Labels:
almonds,
carrot,
coconut milk,
coriander,
cumin,
garlic,
ginger,
lentils,
sundried tomatoes,
yoghurt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment