Monday, July 4, 2011

French Tarts

When I lived in London they had this fab take-away called French Tarts who used to make the most delicious tarts with a light flaky pastry base.  They'd deliver these tarts along with the most delicious roasted vegetables, frites and dessert tarts (the tarte tatin was to die for) and even bottles of wine and cigarettes (we used to smoke back in the day).  This was my idea of deliverance heaven.

Here is the link to their menu.  I don't know whether they still exist, but they will forever be etched in my mind as good food that went with very good times.

http://www.yourbestlocal.com/restmenu.asp?rest_id=28-SW11-1EE&cat_id=page1&order=1

I woke up yesterday morning with a craving for French Tarts, as it was such a cold day, and this is the sort of food I like to eat.  I don't know how they make their tarts, but I will try different methods until I nail it.  I guess it's similar to a Galette as it appears to be sort of free form, but I'm guessing it's made in a tin.

But instead I tried just using a slab of reduced fat puff pastry, and topping it with a sour cream, egg and mustard mix, before topping it with toppings.  These tasted pretty damned good but not french tarts as I remember them.  Will keep working on it until I get it right.

Tart 1 for Adults

Caramelise 2 red onions by frying on low heat for about 30 minutes with a little water, butter, oil, sugar and balsamic vinegar.  When the onions were ready, I added 2 courgettes chopped into ribbons and a sliced chorizo sausage and warmed through before turning off the heat.  I then beat one egg and added about half a cup of light sour cream and a teaspoon of mustard.  This mix I then divided in two and spread over 2 pieces of pre-rolled pastry.   I then placed the onion/courgette/chorizo topping onto one pre-rolled square of pastry and topped with sliced brie.  This was baked in a 200 oven for about 20 minutes until golden.


Caramelised onion, courgette, chorizo and Brie Tart

Tart 2 for children

The second piece of pre-rolled pastry which has been brushed with half the sour cream mix, I topped with sliced in half cherry tomatoes and a grating of edam cheese.  Baked for 20 minutes or until golden in a 200 degree oven

Cheese and Tomato Tart for the children

No comments:

Post a Comment