This is my journey from fat to thin. Not hugely fat but could lose about 10kgs. The problem is I love to cook... and eat. Today I decided to take action and get serious about getting healthy by following different eating regimes to suit my mood. This is a photo blog of food I am eating to get to where I want to be. Goal: lose 10kg. Total lost: 4.7kg
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Cottage Pie for weary people
Today I am making a comfort dinner for some very tired people in my family who have been nursing very sick babies. I am working from home at the same time so hopefully it's not going to end up charred in the bin!
I am just going to scribble down the recipe as it's so easy, I don't really have the time today for layout precision!
You need 3 onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 cloves of garlic, 50g butter, 1kg mince (beef or lamb), salt and pepper, worcestershire sauce, thyme, chicken stock (1 cup), sprig fresh thyme. Peas(optional), 2 tablespoons of plum sauce/chutney, 1 kg frozen mash from the supermarket frozen section (or make your own mash if you have the time.
In the blender, blend the veges until slightly more chunky than mush. Transfer in a saucepan with melted butter and cook slowly for about 30 minutes until soft. Add the mince and brown, add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, pepper, stock and cook slowly for about an hour. I usually also add a couple of tablespoons of plum sauce at this stage. I don't know why, just like the taste it brings to the dish. As I have no plum sauce in my pantry today, I have added some spicy mango chutney instead. Add some peas if you wish before transferring into a baking dish. Top with defrosted mash and bake at 180 for about 30 minutes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment